Sunday, August 21, 2011

Paycheck To Raincheck

now you've given
yourself a fever
smart guy
trying to work
an extra week
on the weekend

now
I've got the chills

amazingly
mercifully
it's been a quiet
shift and my bed
is just another
three hours away

I line them up in front of me
in segments of 8, 12 or 16
and then I look for more

I scramble
for crumbs
while dreaming
I am a vagabond
always walking away
to find a better
adventure

only to find myself
startled by every
child's laugh
or cry
and
haunted by
colored
memories of home

some version of home

it's
a helluva
thing

1 comment:

  1. beautiful and impressive,

    touching words from a real family man!

    “startled by every
    child's laugh
    or cry
    and
    haunted by
    colored
    memories of home”

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Visitor Map