Wednesday, March 9, 2011

How Do You Do?

12:30 A.M.
awake suddenly
with a sore throat
parched

Caught myself thinking
that your primary job is
to manage
this black ocean
within the confines of your skull
and your aging body
through the space
of this world

At the kitchen sink
drinking water over a few dirty dishes
left despite my new plan to have a plan
for things, tasks, checks, order

I notice that I've left the dome light on
in my car for the last five hours
and am forced to admit that chaos
is the victor today
again

The rest of the job is to
provide for and protect four others,
who are navigating singular courses
through their own oceans,
to the extent that this is possible
and beyond

I run under starlight along
the frozen path barefoot and shirtless
to address the issue with
the light, still shining brightly,
and the car starts obediently with vigor
contrary to the plot line I just drafted
with it's cursing and why mes

Return to bed
dwelling on the job description
looking for sleep trying not to try
and not fifteen minutes passes
until my boy is moving about
in his delerium unable
to find the door.

mom? Mom? MOM?

1 comment:

  1. How do you do?, how do we all do? I don't know but the thing is that we DO, and when we look back on what we did it looks just as impossible.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Visitor Map