Sunday, March 13, 2011

In Lieu Of A Lullaby (For Japan)

If I believed the words, I would sing Japan a lullaby to help it find repose after these days of fear and horror. I would stroke it's hair and sing the words and it would slowly trust, relax and let go. But I don't know the words for that.

I am not qualified to say anything about Japan and what's happened there, about the terror and disorientation that must occur when the friendly earth and sea attack. I don't know how to console you or how to prepare us. There is not much space between these incidents of disaster and pain on an incomprehensible scale these days. You will need strength to continue, to face tomorrow. You will need faith to close your eyes near the water's edge. Faith in what, I don't know for sure, but something tells me you know a great deal more about that question than I.

The night before the quake and tsunami occurred, I read something about the coming of a Super Moon later this month. On that day the moon will pass more closely to the earth than usual, a rare astrological occurrence. An astrologer of some kind said it was a time of instability that will influence tides and seismic activity. Sceptics in the scientific community were quoted and dismissed the claim.

I think what people there now know is that we simply do not know. We cannot know. We can only stop or continue as we are able. I hope that you will keep going.

In lieu of a lullaby with all the right words, I hope you will accept a simple tune hummed low and this gentle rocking.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Visitor Map