Tuesday, February 8, 2011

1. Tangerine Polo Shirts

Last night, walking the softened path to my front door,
I caught the scent of melting snow,
a much needed reminder that winter isn't terminal.

Under the snow is the thin frozen crust of the Earth,
just below that is the scent of new life,
the world's warm heart.

So I went to bed with that thought and
slept peacefully and well.

I woke this morning to find the kids had a two hour school delay,
that another six wet and heavy inches had fallen.

So I attacked
with furious shovel and slippery soled shoes,
and raged against it,
swearing loudly and repeatedly
in the early morning's quiet.

It struck back,
causing my legs to misfire cartoonishly,
forcing me to fumble and gawk and gasp,
rendering me ridiculous
in my frustration.

Winter will come.
Winter will stay.
Winter will always have its way.

But because I am alive,
it is not possible to submit completely,
to just lie down and
accept...

This is why we suffer,
but this is how we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Visitor Map