It's early yet, I was only laid off three days ago, but I can hear the marching boots of negative psychology in the near distance, getting closer. Contact with negative psychology at a vulnerable time such as this is to be avoided at all costs, it seems to me. In order not to succumb to terror, I think it is best to rewind to the meeting.
The first struggle is swallowing and metabolizing the news of the lay off - "your position is being terminated". In the moment, I was steady and solid. Hell, if I were the powers that be and had to make cuts my former position would be on the top of the list too. Organizationally, it makes sense. It's good business.
It's only business.
But then something gets past my guard, and I wonder is this code? Does "your position is being terminated" mean "we need someone better than you in that position"? So I ask the question, for the sake of my own professional development, if this is about my job performance please let me know. No, no - they reassure me - you have been an asset to the department it's just a cost saving measure. And I am relieved, but I've been nicked with a dart and hope the tip wasn't poisoned.
The first lesson is do not take the impersonal nature of a lay off personally.
- ► 2013 (255)
- ► 2012 (243)
- ► 2011 (424)
- Muddy Water Turned To Wine
- Out Of This Gloom, Out of This Rut
- Silver, Smoke and Cold
- Status Update
- James Brown - Refuse to Lose
- Meditation #1: The Lay Off
- Goddamn Man, I Didn't Mean That Hard
- Next Time, Just Slap Me
- Blue Cheese, Salami, Green Olive Tapenade, Bagel C...
- From the Repo Man soundtrack
- Swans - Tomorrow Night in New York
- Circus Elephants Transmit Tuberculosis
- Thanks For Looking In
- Rest in Peace, Dr. Robert Morgan - Friend.
- House Red
- Bukowski - "Bluebird" read by Harry Dean Stanton
- ▼ October (21)