Thursday, August 12, 2010
Make A Lake
It was this game we played on Parris Island. The drill instructor called us up to the quarterdeck in groups of five or so and thrashed us real good - I mean he'd wear us out to muscle failure, and then call up the next group. Round and round it went, sometimes for hours at a time. I like to think it prepared me for something - like not giving up when that's all you really want to do. In the beginning it damn near killed all of us, but by the end you'd go up there on your own to help a buddy who looked like he was going to buckle by suffering with him - you transfused your motivation, your savage chi - and you pulled each other through, smiling covertly as we simulated the breast stroke in two inches of sweat. Doing it alone is harder.
Posted by Glen Green at 12:20 PM
- ► 2013 (255)
- ► 2012 (243)
- ► 2011 (424)
- An Informed Citizenry?
- Poems for September
- Canned Heat - On The Road Again
- My Twenty-Four Hour Summer
- My Secret Society's Annual Report
- More Nostalgia - Strange Children's Television - L...
- Mulatu Astatke of Ethiopia
- More Third Grade Nostalgia
- Say Your Prayers
- Henry Rollins in Israel
- Hooked On a Feeling - Blue Suede
- Whopper Head
- What A Concept!
- A Hint of Fall
- Rowland S. Howard - Pop Crimes
- A Segment From Baraka
- The National - Bloodbuzz Ohio
- Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - She Fell Away
- Die Haut with Lydia Lunch - Der Karibische Western...
- Saturday Round Midnight In The ER
- Mr. John Lee Hooker - Tupelo
- Crisis Stabilization Unit
- Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - The Carny
- Crime And The City Solution - Angel
- Hope Sandoval and The Warm Intentions - Sets The B...
- Ketty Lester - Love Letters
- Cocteau Twins - Alice
- Stay Gold
- Junior Kimbrough - Sad Days and LonelyNights
- Tom Waits - Alice
- A Visitor!
- Who Am I Now?
- Make A Lake
- National Novel Writing Month, A Kick In The Pants ...
- Empathy for My Devil
- Irritation Nation
- Vic Chesnutt- Everything I Say
- It's Not You, It's Me
- Singing Lesson
- ▼ August (44)