Tuesday, September 14, 2010

14. Elders

The Alaska Native Elder,
Walter Austin, looked me in the eyes
briefly and told me the first thing
I had to do was heal myself of
Anger - the first negation of healing.
I didn't know at the time that doing so was a life's work.

The Lakota-Wasichu Elder,
Robert Morgan- man of many lives in
Massachusetts, Montana, New York City, New Orleans and Alaska
put his bear's hand upon my shoulder and told me
my job was to learn how to be a human being.
I didn't know at the time that doing so was a life's work.

The Yupi'k Eskimo Elder,
Rita Blumenstein, one of the world's 13 Grandmothers,
told me gently that medicine is a living thing
and it comes directly from the Eye of The Universe.
This medicine is also known as love -
and hearing that made me cry.
I didn't know at the time...

I miss them.

And I wonder who will
know what to do when they go?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Visitor Map