Friday, September 3, 2010
1967 - The Fifth Dimension - Up, Up And Away
The 1966 Billboard Top 100 churned and spun through my dreams last night. What an interesting contrast and statement of the times. The number one song was The Ballad of The Green Beret as the country answered the call of the war drum and rose to stop communist aggression. Other wholesome songs like Born Free, Strangers In The Night, You're My Soul And Inspiration were on the charts at the same time as the Rolling Stones with Paint It Black, and 19th Nervious Breakdown and Donovan with his Sunshine Superman.
I went a little crazy trying to figure out what to play. It was a good year for catchy garage rock hits - 96 Tears, Wild Thing, and Dirty Water - all songs I came to love a few years later, but my world in that first year was probably shaped more by the radio in the kitchen - my parents' music.
So I decided to leave '66 represented by Sunny and move on to 1967 because, if you can't sort out the past, you can at least run from it.
The Fifth Dimension was ubiquitous during those years. This song definitely echoes across time to me. Sometimes it's straight forward and optimistic, and other times it's surreal and part of a horror movie soundtrack.
Posted by Glen Green at 6:40 AM
- ► 2013 (255)
- ► 2012 (243)
- ► 2011 (424)
- So Long, Lonesome
- 30. Windshield Wipers
- 29. Tangled Alright
- Low -Lullaby
- 28. Not Without Glory
- 27. Haiku For A Late September Morning
- Goddamn Thing Keeps Stalling
- 26. Infinite Samba
- 1984 - Let's Go Crazy and 99 Red Balloons
- 1984 - This Didn't Quite Make The Billboard Top 10...
- 25. Open House
- 24. The Hatch
- 23. Mansion Squatters
- 22. Long Distance Call
- Midnight Oil - Short Memory
- 1983 - I'd Have Gone Rockabilly If I Had Better Ha...
- 21. Dining Alone
- 20. Midlife Haiku
- Art Form
- 19. I Didn't Mow The Lawn, Again
- 18. Apple Picking
- 17. Transparent
- 16. Sniff? Sniff? Is that You?
- Sammy Ramone
- 15. Stand or Fall
- 14. Elders
- 1981- Devo and The Greg Khin Band
- 13. Oh Sleep
- 1980 - Gary Numan and Christopher Cross
- 12. Another Way Of Putting It
- 1979 - Styx and Toto
- Jack says...
- 11. 9/11
- 1978 - Patti Smith and Sweet
- Bethel, Alaska!
- 10. Quit It
- 1977 - Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle
- Wait Til Your Unconcious Gets Home
- 9. Walking In The Sand
- 1976 - Rhythm Heritage - The Theme From S.W.A.T.
- 8. This Year You Write Your Novel
- 1975 - Janice Ian - At Seventeen
- 7. Main Street
- Jack Says...
- Strangers in The Garden
- 1974 - The Loco-Motion - Grand Funk Railroad
- It's This.
- 6. Labor Day
- 1973 - Another Selection Because Rock Is Necessary...
- Two for 1973 - Jim Croce and Paul Simon
- 1972 - Saturday In The Park - Chicago
- 1971 - Joy To The World - Three Dog Night
- 5. Octopus Song
- 1970 - B.J. Thomas - Rain Drops Keep Falling on My...
- 4. Spared
- To My 6 Sentences Friends in New Orleans This Week...
- 1969 - The Fifth Dimension
- 3. Welcome, Earl
- 1968 - Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 - The Look Of ...
- 1967 - The Fifth Dimension - Up, Up And Away
- 1979 - The Knack - My Sharona
- 2. Run
- A Virtual Choir
- 1. Sombrero
- ▼ September (68)