Warm and humid today for Fall,
but it progresses relentlessly
despite the daily skirmishes
put up by a few stray
rebels of summer.
The hard framework of the trees begin to show
grey and brown and stark against the sky
which has gone the color of war.
At night we close the windows
and reach for blankets.
It's dark now when we rise, and
getting dark again on the commute
home from work.
It's the struggle that makes me love this season.
All in vain -
Winter howls in the near distance
running it down like a pack of
hungry wolves, and
the long cold darkness
inches this way steadily
and unblinking to
In the meantime, these
warm days of Indian Summer-
brilliant sunshine and dry pleasant air
or gentle rain, the smell of earth
and changing vegetation,
under magnificently clear and painted skies -
moments of staggering beauty.
It should probably just quit,
give in to looming darkness,
surrender to the cold - lie down, let go...
But every year the struggle blazes -
orange, red and yellow - bravely,
as though there were some chance,
until it is quietly and finally
- ► 2013 (255)
- ► 2012 (243)
- ► 2011 (424)
- So Long, Lonesome
- 30. Windshield Wipers
- 29. Tangled Alright
- Low -Lullaby
- 28. Not Without Glory
- 27. Haiku For A Late September Morning
- Goddamn Thing Keeps Stalling
- 26. Infinite Samba
- 1984 - Let's Go Crazy and 99 Red Balloons
- 1984 - This Didn't Quite Make The Billboard Top 10...
- 25. Open House
- 24. The Hatch
- 23. Mansion Squatters
- 22. Long Distance Call
- Midnight Oil - Short Memory
- 1983 - I'd Have Gone Rockabilly If I Had Better Ha...
- 21. Dining Alone
- 20. Midlife Haiku
- Art Form
- 19. I Didn't Mow The Lawn, Again
- 18. Apple Picking
- 17. Transparent
- 16. Sniff? Sniff? Is that You?
- Sammy Ramone
- 15. Stand or Fall
- 14. Elders
- 1981- Devo and The Greg Khin Band
- 13. Oh Sleep
- 1980 - Gary Numan and Christopher Cross
- 12. Another Way Of Putting It
- 1979 - Styx and Toto
- Jack says...
- 11. 9/11
- 1978 - Patti Smith and Sweet
- Bethel, Alaska!
- 10. Quit It
- 1977 - Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle
- Wait Til Your Unconcious Gets Home
- 9. Walking In The Sand
- 1976 - Rhythm Heritage - The Theme From S.W.A.T.
- 8. This Year You Write Your Novel
- 1975 - Janice Ian - At Seventeen
- 7. Main Street
- Jack Says...
- Strangers in The Garden
- 1974 - The Loco-Motion - Grand Funk Railroad
- It's This.
- 6. Labor Day
- 1973 - Another Selection Because Rock Is Necessary...
- Two for 1973 - Jim Croce and Paul Simon
- 1972 - Saturday In The Park - Chicago
- 1971 - Joy To The World - Three Dog Night
- 5. Octopus Song
- 1970 - B.J. Thomas - Rain Drops Keep Falling on My...
- 4. Spared
- To My 6 Sentences Friends in New Orleans This Week...
- 1969 - The Fifth Dimension
- 3. Welcome, Earl
- 1968 - Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 - The Look Of ...
- 1967 - The Fifth Dimension - Up, Up And Away
- 1979 - The Knack - My Sharona
- 2. Run
- A Virtual Choir
- 1. Sombrero
- ▼ September (68)