Did you ever stop to think about the music of your life? Not just your favorite songs, but all that stuff playing in the background all your life. Love it or hate it, it's a part of your superstructure and is partially responsible for who you are today. Since Autumn - the season of memory, nostalgia, longing, and maybe some regret - is upon us, I think I'll take a peak at the Billboard Top 100 from across my early lifespan and post a song a day here. Not necessarily because it was a favorite, but because it's built into my superstructure.
So we begin at the beginning, 1966, with a song that struck me as the real thing a long time ago, and it still does today.
Sorry, if you want to hear the song you have to play the bottom one - copyright stuff I guess, and I couldn't figure out how to delete the top one without reposting. How inconvenient!
- ► 2013 (255)
- ► 2012 (243)
- ► 2011 (424)
- So Long, Lonesome
- 30. Windshield Wipers
- 29. Tangled Alright
- Low -Lullaby
- 28. Not Without Glory
- 27. Haiku For A Late September Morning
- Goddamn Thing Keeps Stalling
- 26. Infinite Samba
- 1984 - Let's Go Crazy and 99 Red Balloons
- 1984 - This Didn't Quite Make The Billboard Top 10...
- 25. Open House
- 24. The Hatch
- 23. Mansion Squatters
- 22. Long Distance Call
- Midnight Oil - Short Memory
- 1983 - I'd Have Gone Rockabilly If I Had Better Ha...
- 21. Dining Alone
- 20. Midlife Haiku
- Art Form
- 19. I Didn't Mow The Lawn, Again
- 18. Apple Picking
- 17. Transparent
- 16. Sniff? Sniff? Is that You?
- Sammy Ramone
- 15. Stand or Fall
- 14. Elders
- 1981- Devo and The Greg Khin Band
- 13. Oh Sleep
- 1980 - Gary Numan and Christopher Cross
- 12. Another Way Of Putting It
- 1979 - Styx and Toto
- Jack says...
- 11. 9/11
- 1978 - Patti Smith and Sweet
- Bethel, Alaska!
- 10. Quit It
- 1977 - Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle
- Wait Til Your Unconcious Gets Home
- 9. Walking In The Sand
- 1976 - Rhythm Heritage - The Theme From S.W.A.T.
- 8. This Year You Write Your Novel
- 1975 - Janice Ian - At Seventeen
- 7. Main Street
- Jack Says...
- Strangers in The Garden
- 1974 - The Loco-Motion - Grand Funk Railroad
- It's This.
- 6. Labor Day
- 1973 - Another Selection Because Rock Is Necessary...
- Two for 1973 - Jim Croce and Paul Simon
- 1972 - Saturday In The Park - Chicago
- 1971 - Joy To The World - Three Dog Night
- 5. Octopus Song
- 1970 - B.J. Thomas - Rain Drops Keep Falling on My...
- 4. Spared
- To My 6 Sentences Friends in New Orleans This Week...
- 1969 - The Fifth Dimension
- 3. Welcome, Earl
- 1968 - Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 - The Look Of ...
- 1967 - The Fifth Dimension - Up, Up And Away
- 1979 - The Knack - My Sharona
- 2. Run
- A Virtual Choir
- 1. Sombrero
- ▼ September (68)